I absolutely LOVED being pregnant! In fact, I am so passionate about that time in my life that I co-created this blog and the Pregnancy Awareness Month/Campaign to celebrate the magic of it all. There is nothing more amazing than knowing that a tiny being is growing inside of you. You are creating a life, nurturing its development. You are adding to the world. You are fulfilling an instinctual desire to co-create and contribute to the survival of the species…it is just so damn cool!!!!
6 of the coolest things about being pregnant:
1. You and your honey know that a life you created together is growing inside of you! Hello that’s like beyond words, isn’t it really?
2. You can eat more! Not as much as you think you can, but you can eat more food. According to the website at Eat Right pregnant women generally need between 2,200 calories and 2,900 calories a day with a gradual increase of calories as the baby grows. The first trimester does not require any extra calories, however, you should increase to additional 340 calories a day during the second trimester, with an increase of 450 calories a day during the third trimester.
3. Rubbing your belly! NOT other people walking up and touching your belly – but YOU getting to caress your belly and sending loving thoughts to your growing baby. I used to gently scrub my belly with lavender salt scrub in the shower each day. It was my own private moment with my baby in the womb!
4. Being smiled at and congratulated by complete strangers! It truly brings the best out in a lot of people. Your glow, that bump, its just a walking advertisement of happiness and joy!
5. For those of us with A cups, we finally get a cleavage!
6. Feeling the baby move and kick, it is the most AMAZING feeling EVER!
The Webster’s Dictionary lists the definition of “cool” as:
a : very good : excellent; also : all right
b : fashionable, hip
But I beg to differ with Webster, to me, the ultimate definition of “cool” – the sheer experience of being pregnant!!
Alisa B. Donner, MSW, LCSW, Co-Founder of PAM and mother to an amazing wonder!
Special thanks to photographer Ingrid Franz Moriarty for this fantastic image!
**REMINDER – Pregnancy Awareness Month’s blog post is for moms and expectant parents by moms (and of course some experts sprinkled in – and some mom’s are licensed board certified experts!). HOWEVER, we are not giving blanket ADVICE on what you should be doing, eating, how you should be exercising, parenting, etc. These are opinions, food for thought….think about it all, talk with your mate, and when it comes to diet, exercise, and health questions, ALWAYS discuss and seek advice from your medical health provider.