- Alisa Donner
- 319 days ago
- Nutrition & Wellness
- Nutrition & Wellness
by Tara DelloIacono Thies RD
Chief Nutrition Strategist at Clif Bar & Company, makers of LUNA Bar
Feeling a bit moody and tired throughout your days? Pregnancy will do that to even the most active and healthy women. The good news is that by snacking smart, you can help alleviate these low points and boost your energy.
Snacking is an important opportunity for nourishment and will help you feel better, especially during pregnancy:
- Blood sugar typically dips several hours after eating, and small, frequent snacks smooth out those energy peaks and valleys, fight fatigue, and keep the metabolism humming.
- Eating several snacks a day helps curb cravings and prevents hunger pangs.
- Snacking adds structure to a daily eating plan, providing a boost even when schedules are erratic.
Smart snacking is about making SMART choices to get the nutrients your body needs and meet your cravings.
- Fruit and vegetables – eat as much as you want, especially the colorful ones, which are usually richer in vitamins and antioxidants
- Whole grains – oatmeal, whole wheat foods, brown rice
- Eat small and often – eating smaller more frequent meals curb the urge to binge on a big meal
- Make no food forbidden – allow yourself to indulge once in a while. (Remember, dark chocolate is chock full of antioxidants!)
Be proud of what you put into your body. Trust your gut to help you snack smart by honoring your cravings and enjoying nutritious, and sometimes indulgent, food.
- Colorful Foods – The Perfect Palette for Palate Development! By Plum Organics™ Eating a varied, well-balanced diet is important for us all,…
- Cooking with Love and Intention: Nutrition Means More than Eating Your Vegetables Pregnant women often feel inspired to learn how to better…
- Setting the Stage for a Lifetime of Healthy Eating – a Pediatrician’s Perspective By : JJ Levenstein, MD, FAAP Your baby’s brain grows…
- I’m Pregnant. I’m Hungry. My husband and I had been trying to conceive for…
- Eating for Two- Before You’re Pregnant by Rachel Lincoln Sarnoff- Executive Director/CEO Healthy Child Healthy World…
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.