- Team PAM
- 27 days ago
- baby nurse
- Birthing Plan
- Pregnancy Awareness Month
10 Must Have Tips For Finding The Right Baby Nurse or Doula
Finding the right support for your labor and delivery and for the weeks after is critical, whether you are looking for a doula or baby nurse. We asked Melissa Lutzke, founder of MamaViews, for tips on getting started.
5 Tips for finding your Baby Nurse
- Start your search as early as you can. Some women book their baby nurses within days of finding out they’re pregnant, so the longer you wait, the fewer available baby nurses there will be. But, if you’re nearing your due date and haven’t booked a baby nurse yet, don’t panic. You can still find someone great—you may just have to dig a little deeper.
- Interview carefully. Evaluate her certifications (which can include Infant Care Specialist, infant CPR, LPN, LVN RN), years of experience and skill level, and find out if this is somebody you are comfortable with. You can use MamaViews’s Baby Nurse Interview Questions to get started. It’s also important to open the interview into more of a conversation. Ask about her family and what she likes to do—it’s a great way to get to know a person.
- Ask her about her approach to establishing a sleep routine and if you are going to breastfeed, her approach on breastfeeding. Does she advocate for supplementing with formula? When would she suggest introducing the bottle? There are different schools of thought for both sleep and feeding, and even if you don’t fully know what you want to do and how you want to do it, you’ll still get a sense if your thinking aligns.
5 Tips for finding your Doula
- Observe the doula during the interview. Does she listen to you? Does she involve your partner in the conversation? She should do both, and both are important for a positive experience. Here is a list of Doula Interview Questions from MamaViews to get you started.
- If you’ve already chosen your OB or Midwife and know where you are delivering, find out if the doula you are interviewing has experience working with any of them. Also get a sense if the experiences were positive.
- Determine if your doula has experience with any personal circumstances or goals you may have, and if her philosophies on childbirth or postpartum decisions align with yours. For instance if you are considering an epidural what does she think about that?
Melissa Lutzke is the founder of MamaViews, the largest national review site fully dedicated to providing real parent feedback on baby nurses and doulas. Parents can search based on important criteria like reliability, infant care knowledge and trustworthiness. Be more informed before you make a decision. Find someone highly recommended by moms like you today.
- MamaViews iPad Mini Giveaway We’ve partnered with MamaViews, the largest doula and baby nurse…
- Finding Peace During Your Pregnancy Pregnancy Awareness Month ® co-founder Alisa Donner recently had the opportunity…
- Pregnant and Happy We all have a desire to gain happiness and to…
- Stroller Strides® Supplies Safe Tips to Tackle the Baby Bulge Your life, and your body, has changed with baby. Your…
- 3 Easy Tips to Prevent Toddler Tantrums On the Go Between about9 and 30 months old children go through an…
Related posts brought to you by Yet Another Related Posts Plugin.